A few days back a friend of mine asked me “How to reduce image size?”.
I taught him some tricks to resize images. In this post, I am going to explain how to resize your image. I remember when I first started graphics designing the first thing that I learned was how to resize an image using Photoshop.
The problem is that a lot of people do not have Photoshop. Even if some of them have Photoshop installed on their computer they just don’t know how to use it.
The fact is that you don’t have to be a professional for resizing a photo in Photoshop. You just need to know some tricks.
Do I need to have Photoshop for resizing an image?
Of course Not.
You can use windows default software like paint to resize your photo. In fact, you don’t need any software at all. You can actually upload your photo on some websites and download the compressed and resized version of it. Here are some sites you can try:
All of this sites are free. So you don’t have to pay anything.
But I don’t recommend online image compression!
Remember if you go for online image compression you don’t have any control over image size and quality of the image. On the other hand, if you use Photoshop you have tons of options to choose from.
How to reduce image size Using Plugins for WordPress?
I am going to share a plugin that I use for my WordPress blog. If you are a blogger and have access to Photoshop, I would strongly recommend you to use both Photoshop and the plugin for a maximum high-quality low size image. Otherwise, you can only use the plugin to reduce image size for your blog.
The plugin I am talking about is WP-SMUSH. Just install and activate the plugin, turn ON the automatic smushing of the images. Once you have done that, it will automatically compress (reduce image size) images.
Or you can also compress images at the time of uploading it to your blog.
How to reduce image size using Photoshop?
I use photoshop CC2016 you can use any version of photoshop. The procedure is the same. In this example, I have downloaded a picture which is 2.5 MB.
- Select the image that you want to reduce size.
- Right-click on the image file and then hover over the open with the tab.
- Select photoshop alternatively you can also open the image from photoshop by clicking on file >open (then select the image).
- Once the image is open in photoshop you need to click on file>new. You will find a page like below where you have to put the value as mentioned. Height 700 pixel, Width 1000 pixel, and the resolution should be 72. When you click ok another window will open in photoshop.
- Now drag the image to the new window. If the image is bigger than the selected document, you can only see a portion of the image. On your keyboard press CTRL+T. This will trigger the transform tool. You will see a rectangular line around your image.
- Take your cursor on a corner point of the rectangular box. Press the SHIFT+ALT key on your keyboard (this will ensure you images ratio as to be same as the original) then drag down the image with the help of the mouse.
- When you drag down the image according to your document size you will find some blank or negative space in your document.
- Select the crop tool from your toolbox and crop the blank space out.
- At this point, your image size is already reduced to a smaller file. I am going to teach you a little trick that will make your image size even lesser.
- Don’t just save the image.
- Go to file>export>save for web (keyboard shortcut = SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+S).
- Now see the image size below. It was a 2.5 MB image and you have managed to resize it to 33.64 KB and the great news is the image quality stays almost the same.
Finally, save the picture. Now you can use the picture according to your needs. Now, this compression is huge and also it will help you improve load speed of your site.
- The Importance of Images In Blog Posts
- Top 5 Software and Tools used by Top Bloggers
- The Best Web Hosting Services for 2018 (Performance & Affordable)